Wednesday, June 13, 2018

A Note To "Christians" Who Hate Donald Trump

     I write this just a few days after yet another famous actor spewed out his hatred of President Donald Trump at a Hollywood awards ceremony. For this speech, he received a rousing ovation from his fellow colleagues. In my lifetime, I have never seen such hatred poured out upon any President (or perhaps any person at all). We see this unrelenting hatred displayed daily on the news, on late night t.v. shows, in our newspapers, on social media, and more.

     None of this is really that surprising. However, what IS surprising is the number of people who call themselves "Christians" who are displaying this same hate. We should expect "hatred" from those who are not Christian. If a person is not a Christian, they belong to Satan (Eph 2:2)(Col 1:13)(1 Jn 5:19)(2 Tim 2:26), and Satan "is" hate. He hates God, he hates Christians, and in fact, hates everyone (see: 1 Pet 5:8, Jn 10:10, 2 Cor 4:4, Rev 12:10). In turn, those who belong to him have this same hatred within them.

     However, a Christian is the opposite. How many of you remember this old Christian song: "And they'll know we are Christians by our love, by our love, Yeah, they'll know we are Christians by our love?" Love defines a Christian. It becomes a part of our DNA when we accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. It defined the life of Jesus while on Earth. Notice His words in (Mt 5:43-45): "Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. (44) But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; (45) That ye may be children of your Father which is in heaven..." 

     Jesus carried this love for His enemies all the way to the cross, praying for those who had put him there (Lk 23:34).

     Putting it bluntly, the Bible is clear that one cannot "hate" AND be a Christian.

(1 Jn 4:7-11)(NASB) Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. (8) The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love. (9) By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him. (10) In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (11) Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought to love one another. (Also see: 1 Jn 2:9-11, 3:10,14-15)

     I was not a fan of former President Obama. In fact, I believe he took a stronger stand against Biblical principles (i.e. supporting same-sex marriage, abortion), than any President in history. (And, godless Hollywood loved him for it). Did I "hate" President Obama because of this? Did I take every opportunity I could to attack him? Did I make fun of his personal appearance (as many do of Trump)? No.... I prayed for him. The Bible tells us to pray for our leaders (1 Tim 2:1-3). (Note: It is virtually impossible to sincerely pray for a person you have hatred towards.) In fact, I wish I could have had a chance while he was in office (or even now) to sit down with him and share what it means to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. To show him how Jesus could transform his life. 

     We can "hate" things that the Bible calls sin (I speak of this here), but we cannot "hate" the person who practices them. While I vehemently disagreed with President Obama and most of his decisions, I cannot hate him.While you may disagree with things that President Trump says (some things he says makes me bristle), or does, or his policies, a "Christian" cannot hate him. Do you believe that you "don't really" hate him? I urge you to consider your words. I urge you to consider what you post on social media. The Bible tells us that the words that come out of our mouth show what is in our heart:

(Mt 15:18) But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth the heart; and they defile a man.
(Mt 12:34) O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
(Lk 6:45) A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.
(Prov 23:7) For as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he...

     I urge ALL who call themselves Christians to examine themselves (2 Cor 13:5). Do your words and actions show love? Do they reflect Jesus? If they don't, perhaps you need to consider if you truly have a personal, saving relationship with Jesus.

(Eph 4:29) Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

*** P.S. This blog applies not only to "Christians" who hate Donald Trump, but who "hate" any person.

27 comments:

  1. Thank you for this lesson on hatred. Several liberal family members of mine have “built walls of hatred” between other factions in the family based on political views. Where once I enjoyed what they posted on social media, I cannot scroll past it fast enough. The hatred oozes & I don’t want it on me. I yearn for the day when family, church, neighborhood communities were filled with love instead of hatred. I remember when anyone said “so & so” was family, an instantaneous feeling of love filled another. Not all actions or words were embraced but the person remained loved. I don’t see that occurring much anymore. Your words give me strength to work at affecting change in my own little world. Thank you for your faithfulness in sharing you God given gifts. May God continue to bless your ministry & you, the minister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lexia. Unfortunately, I have had to block a few people on social media because of the hatred I see coming from them (but I still remain friends). I have never seen a time like this in my lifetime. I appreciate the encouragement. God bless.

      Delete
    2. However what isn't told here is the constant hate of Obama by proclaimed Republican Christians, I saw it everyday. My personal opinion is that dislike of someone is normal but should not be shared, especially on social media. The funny part is that the people I know that complain about the treatment of Trump were the same ones who trashed Obama. Same treatment but from the other side. People of both sides should be ashamed of their selves.

      Delete
    3. As I said at the end of the blog, "This blog applies not only to "Christians" who hate Donald Trump, but who "hate" any person." Christians cannot hate people.

      Delete
  2. The lack of love and incivility is growing worse day by day. I too pray for The President, because God's Word instructs. I can't quite make sense of the shower thing but am grateful for the encouragement, and thank you for sharing Truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks J E. If you get a chance, my first blog post "Why the name" explains the shower thing.

      Delete
  3. I love the word and how we're instructed to pray for the president and those in government; there is no respect of persons. But what I don't understand is when "big name Christians" act like the president is some great saint for doing what God promoted him to do by fulfilling the prophesy and making Jerusalem the capital of Isreal. I mean, even Jesus had Judas but no one hailed him in high regard. Judas had a position to fulfill the prophesy all the while being a thief, a betrayer, and pardon the pun, a colluder. I don't practice hatred in my heart for our president or anyone for that matter but it seems our Christian leaders tend to overlook his immoral behavior while at the same time STILL condemning our former president. Please help me understand...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not believe many Christians would call Trump a "great saint." As I said above, some of his words and actions cannot be condoned from a Godly standpoint. HOWEVER, President Trump has done more to stand up for Christianity, and what the Bible says is right than any president in recent history. For example, he has appointed two conservative, Bible believing Christian Supreme court justices. He has stood against abortion. He has taken steps to protect our country from illegal aliens (I discuss this here: http://jesusalive.cc/ques416.htm ) He has strengthened our relationship with Israel. He has taken steps to allow Christians to not be taken to court for standing up for their beliefs. And, there is even more... We do not condone his immoral behavior, but we do appreciate the steps he has taken to defend Christianity. In addition, I, and many other Christians do not believe Trump is guilty of everything he is accused of. There is a hatred out there to do anything possible to destroy him. This includes a number of lies.

      Delete
    2. Judas hung HIMSELF.

      God bless you, brother. Thanks for your reply.

      Delete
    3. Btw Steve, I'm Shay :)
      I don't know why my reply is "unknown". Our Father knows me ;).

      Delete
    4. Yes he God told us to pray for our leaders as they are put there by him God but how can trump reconcile himself when he he has committed many of the things that are according to the Bible wrong so what your saying he trump is above the law ??

      Delete
    5. Where did anyone say Trump is "above the law?"

      Delete
  4. Being an Immigrant, I write this to agree with your article. Love your enemy never seen in any religion. CHRIST like humbleness completely contrary to the world and what i have seen in my experience as a Hindu. Hope we all follow the same. Good article!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a Christian and I dont hate our president.Just wish he could be kind and tone down his words. He acts childish sometimes.Thankful for the good things he has done. He makes me feel sad and he sounds mean when he talks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. President Trump isn't childish, you have to remember that sadly the media has jump on this bandwagon of "hate" Trump no matter what he does, never mind that Obama and the Democrats have done much worst, it sad that the media has to do so much editing to make it appeared that he is "childish."

      Delete
  6. Donald Trump's 'gospel' is the Power of Positive Thinking. Because he stands up for what might be considered 'relative moralism' that happens to agree with come peoples' ideas that 'earn' him a 'good standing' with others under the label 'Christian' that stand for certain ones makes him no more a Christian than Obama's religious pluralism. The most 'loving' thing a person can do is call him on his crap, Speaking the Truth for The Love of God (Christ) - and we can 'hate' that a con artist pulls the wool over other peoples' eyes. To hate that he is in Sin and sees no need for forgiveness is legit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, your words sound like you don't hate the actions of Donald Trump, but rather you hate him personally. You call him a non-Christian, say he speaks "crap," is a "con artist," and you presume to know what is in his heart towards the Lord. You are who I wrote this blog for.

      Delete
  7. Let All of us love one another. It is fascinating to me how I dislike him yet I love him! Nehemiah cried and cried to the Lord. The Lord commissioned him to rebuild the wall! Let us go further with love for one another. He wants the Wall as a legacy to his presidency as to what he accomplished and wants to use the personal pronoun I! Let's go further! Did Nebuchadnezzar believe in God? Yet built a idol to himself?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not hate Trump; I pray for him. However, when you talk about others hating him, you need to look directly at him for he is the one stirring up hate through out land and inciting others with hatred. The devil is the author of confusion for God is peace and love! Trump is the one who hates others; he is the leader. When Jesus came he was not the author of confusion he demonstrated love and compassion for others. Granted the ones who hate him are in the wrong too; I am not condoning their behavior but evil begets evil; look at the disrespect and little regard he has for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You say you do not hate President Trump, but yet you say he is "stirring up hate," is of the "devil," he "hates others," is "evil," and has "disrespect and little regard for others." If someone said that about you, would you feel like they loved you? With these feelings towards our President, I suspect your prayers for him are not going very far.

      Delete
    2. Unknown is only telling it like it is and it is true! Trump has caused hate and division since the very beginning. In all my years I have never seen so much hate and division as during this presidency.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for this...It was so encouraging.
    I have relative who, literally, in the past few days, sent me a random email from a liberal MSM page that is bashing POTUS..(this is 2 years after she unfriended me on FB because of who I voted for), and has been trying to argue with me about POTUS being "devil incarnate" for the past 24- hours. I have to lean on the Lord for the right words to respond with, because we are not close, and I want her to understand the Truth of God's Word and Jesus' model to follow.
    She is a very angry, 5o+ female who "believes she has Christian values and beliefs". Please pray for me to share only what God knows she needs to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirstier, you're welcome. So glad it encouraged you. Your relative, and people like her, are exactly why I wrote this. I have prayed for God to soften her heart, and for you to have the right words to say.

      Delete
  10. I don’t see how Christians can condone trumps actions. He has hate rallies. Calls people names.Cursing how is this ok in God eyes don’t understand trump has hate. I have tried to talk to Christians about this, go to their face book page they are making fun of the Democrats in house so it discussed me so I say nothing . Trump is so rude he enbarasses me

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don’t see how Christians can condone trumps actions. He has hate rallies. Calls people names.Cursing how is this ok in God eyes don’t understand trump has hate. I have tried to talk to Christians about this, go to their face book page they are making fun of the Democrats in house so it discussed me so I say nothing . Trump is so rude he enbarasses me

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think if people understood there is a difference between emotion, which is physical sensation, and action, which is a manifestation of emotion or thought; we would have a better understanding of what scripture is trying to teach us.
    MATT 5:43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
    Scripture is not talking about emotion, it is speaking of action. Just as ,"LOVE", is an action, (a sacrifice). Hate is also an action.
    (Affection is an emotion, anger is an emotion.)
    "For God so loved the world, he gave His only begotten son" God sacrificed, His son, he did not give affection, the love was in the sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete

"Faith" (vs) Covid

     I had just spent several hours working on a new Bible study. I hadn't slept well the night before, so I was going to take a short n...